Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Medicated

Dear Friends and Family,

I went to the see an endocrinologist yesterday and he recommended I get on thyroid medication. While my thyroid levels themselves didn't seem to really concern him, my antibody levels were apparently rather alarming. What is a puzzle is why my thyroid levels weren't even higher.

We quickly ruled out radioactive iodine. And, we just as quickly ruled out doing nothing. The former because my case wasn't bad enough to warrant radioactive iodine. The latter because my case wasn't likely to improve without intervention and doing nothing has risks as well.

This left two options, methimazole and PTU. Since I'm not pregnant, nor trying to become pregnant, and since I've taken methimazole in the past, we decided to go that route.

I'm taking 20 mg a day of the methimazole and 20 mg a day of the propranolol. I have a follow-up lab in 4-6 weeks. We'll go from there. Between now and then, I need to get a better handle on my stress and I need to add iodine back into my diet. Soy sauce is my goal for this week.

I've come to the realization that I'm sick and treating myself is better than sitting in semi-denial. Here's to getting better!


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: