Thursday, March 24, 2011

You Know You're Getting Old When...

Dear Friends and Family,

Time keeps going faster, and we keep getting older.

On a conscious level, I can do the math, but on a sub-conscious level, you don't feel old until things start changing on you.

Like the "are you having another" question. I don't think we are, but I don't know for sure. But, I realize that decision is being made for me because at some point in the near future, we won't be able to even if we wanted to.

Then, there's the retirement planning. If, knock on wood, all goes to plan, I probably have one more career move between now and retirement. And, I want it to be a big move to finish on a high note. So, if I do move, it won't be for any job, it'll be for a career defining job. How did I get that old?

Then, you realize instead of being the youngest person at work, you're one of the older people at work. I liked that about my last job, I was the same age as everyone. Now, I'm not.

And, there's things like losing your last grandparent. Now, my parents are grandparents and Mr. mouse and I are parents. And, you realize that the cycle of life is continuing whether you like it or not. Friends start coping with sick parents and you realize you could be next.

And, last but not least, you start coping with more tests and procedures and check-ups and exams, just in case. Fortunately, we have insurance and we can take advantage of the precautions. Nonetheless, they make you realize you're not as young as you used to be.

I'm optimistic that the best is yet to come. Still, I'm glad we've had some good years behind us because suddenly I'm feeling a little older than I felt a little bit ago.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: