Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thinking Ahead to 2015

Dear Friends and Family,

I know. I know. We're not even through the holidays and I'm beginning to think ahead to the new year. But, I want to. So, I guess that's what I'll do.

I think I'm happy now. Well, I'm happier than I was in April when my job got eliminated. I think I'm done with old work. There's two friends I keep in touch with for lunch every so often. I don't miss anyone else. Everyone else I keep in touch with through other channels that seem like they're outside of old work.

I will be happier once we sort through all of the December bills. We've gotten lax on the budget because there's a lot of buying and returning that happens in December. We need to get through all of the returning in January and then see where we're at. I'm 99% certain we're okay. I just don't like not knowing the number. It's not a good habit.

So, January, we'll be back on a budget. Actually, when Mr. mouse gets home tonight we need to get back to tracking. There's some grey area in December, but that's no reason to throw in the towel on the rest of the month. And, I need to keep the grey area at bay for January with our big party. I'll just need to make sure Mr. mouse is good about giving me all of the receipts.

I think sometime in 2015 we'll be back to square one where we've paid off our loan to ourselves. Then, sometime in 2016 we'll be back to where we want to be where we have more money set aside for fun things. I think being on a budget for 2014, while painful, was good for us. No. I KNOW being on a budget for 2014, while painful, was good for us. I guess we'll continue for 2015.

I want to get my website up and running in 2015. I want a real email address. I was a real website. I think both of those things will be good things. That, and I want to get my workers compensation insurance straightened out. I need three years worth of experience to get lower rates. One down. Two to go. But, I need my finances to work with the current rates. I think I'll be able to once I adjust for a more accurate payroll forecast.

I want to either get the house in order or my health in order. I think inevitably the two are tied. But, both take time. I think I'll focus on my health for the first half of the year. Then, if I feel like I've figured out a routine then I can spend the second half of the year on the house. Can I live with the current disaster for six more months? I guess. I'd rather do that than over commit.

So, I guess my top three are:
  1. continue plugging away at the budget
  2. spend time growing the business, figuring out the website, insurance and year end filings
  3. spend time on my health, check back in with myself in March to see how all of this is going
That's a good list. I feel better already.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: