Monday, March 09, 2015

03.09.15: Fresh Off the Boat: 1995 or 2015?

Dear Friends and Family,

Our weekend was fun. We had a play date on Saturday at our friends house. Then, Sunday, P went to see a play with Mr. mouse and I got a chance to do some paper organization.

But, that's not what I want to write about. Living in a major metropolitan area in 2015, I thought we had moved beyond blatant racism to the more insidious racism that is so much harder to prove like white privilege. But, I've come to realize we haven't moved completely into a brave new world which makes me realize if it's like this for me, it's gotta be a whole lot worse for other minorities.

So, what happened? A couple of weeks ago some crazy jumped out of her car and threatened Mr. mouse with her snow scraper and called him a Chink because he got mad at her for driving into a crosswalk full of pedestrians. She also threatened him with the cops, apparently her dad and her brother are part of Chicago's finest. If she was 1,000 years old, it'd be one thing. But, the fact that she was in her mid-twenties adds an entirely different context to the whole incident.

Then, last week, I was at an airport, in Seattle. And, going through security, the TSA agent decided it was necessary to speak to me in very simplified English, slowly and loudly, in a very derogatory tone. I remember this happening in 1995 on flights when people assumed I was a tourist from Asia. But, come on. It's 2015. I've been speaking English for 40+ years. I dress like a sloppy American, not like an Asian tourist. There's no need to presume I can't speak English. It's insulting.

Then, last night, we went out for dinner. We had reservations. There were tons of open tables at 6 o'clock. They walked us past the main dining room to the very last table right by the doorway to the kitchen. Not knowing better, P climbed in and Mr. mouse was ready to climb in. And, I said, no. I didn't want the worst table on the floor when there were clearly better tables free. Mr. mouse asked me if I was willing to wait. I was. Frankly, I would have walked at that point, but I didn't want to make a scene. Not surprisingly, they were able to find us a perfectly acceptable table because when they pulled their collective head out of the fog they realized they had walked past a dozen tables before getting to the table by the service door. I wasn't sure if this whole situation happened because we had a small child with us or because we are Asian. Well, half way through dinner, they sat several families with children throughout the restaurant. I felt that answered my question - wouldn't want those fresh off the boat people where anyone can see them, would we?

And, now, I'm just disappointed in people. In 2015, we still haven't figured this out. And, like I said, if it's like this for me, what must it be like for others? I feel like we've come so far, but there is so much more road that needs to be traveled before we reach a point where race truly doesn't matter. I will have to figure out how to help P navigate a world that still sees black and white.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: