Monday, October 05, 2009

10.05.09: Mile High City

Dear Friends and Family,

We flew out Saturday to go to my friend's wedding. We were a little discombobulated on the way out. We left a bag at home that had P's bottle and milk for Saturday in it (along with my pump). The wheel on the stroller broke. We almost left Mr. mouse's bag in the wrong rental car. And, the list goes on from there. Fortunately, we were able to break the streak and get back to our normal selves.

We met up with KAR for lunch - only the line was too long for dim sum. So, we had Vietnamese before going for dim sum. Then, we went back to the hotel, changed and headed out for the wedding. P slept the entire evening. I had a chance to catch up with a ton of friends from grad school. I was toying with skipping the wedding and going home to see my grandmother. I'm glad I went.

Sunday, we slept in one extra hour. And, we enjoyed the morning with P. The sun was streaming into the room (I miss the sun) and we took a ton of pictures of our almost five month old. This past month really flew.

We packed up and headed out for the airport. And, then the fun and games began. Our flight was delayed for mechanicals. Sensing impending doom, we headed over to the gate for the St. Louis flight, but it was full. We did some math and headed over to the Omaha flight and got on standby. We hung out in Omaha for two hours eating and feeding P. Then, we missed the first of the Omaha flights home, but caught the second flight home. P had a melt down in the car because she was hungry.

I ended the weekend tired from a day spent trying to get home, with two phone calls I need to return (my sister and my cousin), and a mountain of email for work. But, it was worth it. I wish we had made it back earlier since my sister was driving through town and a direct flight is always easier (btw, our original flight eventually cancelled).

Now, the question looms about the upcoming weekend. I would love to spend it at home, resting, catching up on work, and seeing our friends in town for the marathon. But, I'm torn. Should I go home to see my grandmother? She's back in the hospital and I know it's only a matter of time.

I feel like a horrible person. I know for the sake of my sanity I need to simplify my life. I have to prioritize. And, I resent that my priorities are being forced. Instead of enjoying time with P, I need to balance the needs of my family - to go home to see my grandmother, to call family members with updates, to do the things that need to be done.

This week, I need to squeeze in a manicure (my nails have gotten obscene), a bath for P (because our flight was delayed yesterday), gas fill up (this one should be self evident) and errand catch up from the weekend. Let's hope 1. traffic isn't a disaster like it was last week and 2. P sleeps through the night - she didn't last night.

I guess what it comes down to is the last month flew by. And, I don't want the next two or three months to fly by with us doing what needs to be done for my family. Then, we wake up and find P's grown up a ton and we missed it because we weren't there for it.

There's never a right answer, is there?


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: