Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Thanksgiving on My Mind

Dear Friends and Family,

Trip download coming, I promise.

But, today, I have Thanksgiving on my mind because it just dawned on me yesterday that it is just a couple of weeks away. And, I'm thinking about how to make it more healthy.

What's on the menu from last Thanksgiving?
  1. turkey (turkey, olive oil, salt, pepper)
  2. ham (ham)
  3. gravy (turkey drippings, flour, turkey stock, milk, salt, pepper)
  4. home baked bread (flour, yeast, salt)
  5. mashed potatoes (potatoes, butter, milk, salt, pepper)
  6. stuffing
  7. green bean casserole
  8. candied sweet potatoes
  9. corn (corn)
  10. cranberry relish
  11. apple pie
  12. ice cream (egg, sugar, cream, milk, vanilla)


So, choices on a dish to make more healthy? Let's see... Which ones have processed ingredients? Stuffing has sausage, green bean casserole has cream of mushroom soup and fried onions, and candied sweet potatoes have marshmallows.

Sadly, I guess green bean casserole should be the one to get remade. And, if I'm going to remake it, I might as well think about it and look for some inspiration. Can I make it in five ingredients or else? Can I make it vegan? Can I make it gluten free? Can I make it nut free? Can I make it low fat? low salt? low carb? Yes, I'm sure I can make a vast leap from green bean casserole to a new green bean dish that is going to be a fabulous add to our Thanksgiving feast.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: