Wednesday, November 30, 2011

All Full Nai Nai Parts

Dear Friends and Family,

Stop here if you're easily squeamish.

After two and a half years, I think P and I are done with a very physical bond that started before birth.

I started breast feeding because I thought it was worth a try. I continued because of a belief that the stuff in formula can't possible be as good for you as an incredibly complex natural substance. I made it through the first year thanks to a lot of luck, and some discipline, persistence and tracking.

I continued because it is a special bond. It's time alone that can't be replaced by time doing other activities together. I can't describe it. It's different.

And, after the first year, it's as easy as cake. You don't pump. You don't have to worry about the nutritional aspects. If they get hungry, you can feed them food. If they get thirsty, you can give them milk or water. If they're not growing, it's not because of the breast feeding. No pressure whatsoever.

And, that's what made it so difficult to figure out when the right time was to wean. I knew I wanted to do it sometime before she turned three, because there's a point when you're done (and different people define that point for themselves, mine was three). And, fortunately for me, P made it easy. She decided she was done. So, I've got about a week while I wind down using my old friend the breast pump.

But, I have to say, it's been a rewarding experience. It wasn't easy the first year, when the pressure can feel immense. But, it was very easy for the next year and half. And, I'm glad we got to share what we did for as long as we did.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: