Monday, February 18, 2013

Days 1, 2, and 9: The Big Travel Days

Dear Friends and Family,

If you haven't guessed yet, we've been travelling for a week now. We went to Egypt and Jordan to see the sites. I'll get to those parts of my trip throughout the week this week, but, today, I'll talk about our travel days.

What We Did

On the way out, we flew from home to Frankfurt. We had a long layover in Frankfurt. It was just enough time to shop for some clothes for P, some muesli for Mr. mouse, and for some groceries for the trip. We continued on to Cairo in Egypt. And, from there to Luxor which was the first stop on our trip.

P was great on the flights. She colored. She read. She played a memory game. She ate. She slept. We couldn't ask for anything more.

On the way back, we flew from Amman to Frankfurt. We originally had a tight connection to our flight home. But, due to a flight delay in Amman, we missed our connection. Fortunately, we were able to get a flight a couple of hours later. It was just enough time to check in, get our boarding passes, eat a snack, and head to our gate.

P was great on the flights. She colored. She waited patiently for her dessert. She ate her gummy bears. She napped.

What We Ate

Nothing of note. It was standard airplane food while we were travelling.

What I Learned

The Germans love P. They showered her smiles and the flight attendants gave her all sorts of toys on the flights.

No scissors on international flights. Not even kid scissors.

The Egyptians are a generous people. They couldn't stand the sight of P's tears and let us take the scissors through security. We checked the scissors on the way back to avoid the issue altogether.

On the way back, because we missed our connection, we got three seats that we needed to barter to get seats together. Mr. mouse had an aisle nowhere near P and me. The German man in the aisle seat across from P switched with Mr. mouse, no hassle, no questions asked. No fuss. No muss. This is why I love Germans.

The woman who had the seat next to P is a totally different story. I had the window in front of P. I asked her to switch seats with me and she didn't want to. She wanted the aisle next to an unaccompanied minor rather than the window next to a sleeping adult. I was tempted to let her have the seat next to P for nine and a half hours. Instead, I offered up Mr. mouse's aisle seat and we had the window with the window and aisle behind instead.

Seriously? She didn't get up at all during the flight, so I don't know why the aisle seat was so critical. I wonder what she would have done with P if I took my originally assigned seat since she refused to switch with me. I learned I want to be like the German man. No fuss. No muss.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: