Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Files, Files, a Kingdom for My Files

Dear Friends and Family,

After discussing our file storage and backup system with our friends in Montreal, we came home to a dead drive. I won't say I wasn't concerned because I was. I won't say I was panicked because I wasn't.

We replaced the power supply. We replaced the chassis. We bought a secondary back up drive. And, it just finished backing up. Mr. mouse will be taking that one into the office and storing it there. It's the easiest way to get some redundancy. There's some physical space between the drives. There's some security at the office. There's some small chance something could happen simultaneously to both drives, but it's certainly less than if we keep drives at home.

Now, it's on to replacing a bad disk drive and to finding a cloud storage solution. That should get us to more safe than most people in the country. I'm thinking of breaking our cloud storage needs into three buckets. There's our photos, immensely valuable, very large, of no real importance to anyone but us so lower theft risk. There's our music, immensely complicated, but commodity products. Then, there's our data. Small, valuable, with some theft risk.

It might make sense to have three different solutions. It might not. We'll see.

For now, it just feels good to have a backup drive and access to my files.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: