Friday, August 22, 2014

Ten Days at an End

Dear Friends and Family,

Today is my last real day with P before school kicks in again. Next week, Mr. mouse is off so we'll be doing things as a family. Then, Tuesday we have orientation. And, Wednesday is the first day of school.

But, today is my last real day with P before school kicks in again. In retrospect, I'm glad I took the summer off. I'm glad was done with old work. I'm glad I put new work on the back burner. I'm glad I had the fun moments I did with P. I'll be honest, on the days she had full day camp we didn't get much done together. By the time we got home and had a snack, there just wasn't a large enough chunk of time to take on a major project before Mr. mouse got home.

On the other hand, for the four weeks P had half-day camp and for the two weeks P had no camp, we had lots of time to get into lots of trouble together. Did we spend some days running errands? Yes, we did. Did we spend some days getting things done at home? Yes, we did. Did we spend some days working on sheets? Well, not as consistently as Mr. mouse wanted, but, yes, we did. Did we spend some days with friends on play dates? Here and there, we did. Were there times I parked P in front of the TV for half an hour? There were probably a handful of times I did.

But, a lot of days we empty days where we could go to the park or play at home with toys that hadn't gotten touched in forever. We had time to talk over lunch. P told me that one time she wished it could be her birthday every day. How sweet it that? We had time to read together, sometimes me reading to P, sometimes both of us with our own books, quietly enjoying each other's company.

It was fun. I love having a five-year-old in the house. I'm glad I took the time to enjoy it.

Today, we're off to the museum. We got a free pass at the library. We'll meet Mr. mouse for lunch. And, then, we're off to new adventures. Still fun, but my summer vacation with P is coming to a close. I'm glad I got as much time as I did.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: