Friday, May 27, 2016

Driving and Driving

Dear Journal,

It's been a god awful week traffic-wise. It seems like every street is clogged with either road construction or building construction or cars trying to avoid the construction.

And, it brings out the absolute worst in all of us. It's every driver for himself. There's no community. There's no sharing. It's a pure selfish, narcissistic race where a second you shave off your travel time comes at the expense of a second getting added to someone else's time. And, nobody cares about anyone else's time. That second is totally worth it because it's M-I-N-E.

And, that's where road tripping is so different. The road is not a competition of inches and seconds. And, the people we meet, absolute strangers, let us into their community with no reason to share besides the fact that time isn't something they hoard the way we do. They're generous with their time wanting to get to know you and hear your stories. And, it makes me realize, much as I love living where I do, I hate driving where I do.

There are days I'd much rather be on the road.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: