Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Grand Social Experiment Update II

Dear Friends and Family,

An update on an update.

Pioneer

Knock on wood. She's been sleeping through the night. She wakes up between 4:00 and 4:30 in the morning. This is fine with me since I get up at four o'clock either way.

Pumping

So far it looks like I can eliminate the 3:30 PM pumping session. I increased the other sessions to 15 minutes and added five minutes onto both of her feeding sessions. I decreased the 3:30 PM session from 12 to 9 to 6 to now 3, taking out three minutes every week. It feels weird reducing the time, almost like weaning. But, I figure I can always add it back in if needed.

Bottle Size

P's bottle is six ounces. Her teachers say it seems like a good amount for her. We weigh her daily. As long as she's gaining, I'll assume she's okay. If she stalls out, I'll increase her bottle size. The other thing we do each week is we weigh her before and after feeding. The last two weeks she ate 5.75 ounces, so I'm assuming that's another triangulation point.

Weight Gain

From the past month, looks like P's settled in at the six to seven percentile point. She's gaining steadily, so I'll assume she's okay until we go back for her four month visit and get told otherwise.

Overall Assessment

While it's a little more tiring, I'm looking forward to the upcoming flexibility. Next week, if we continue with the experiment, I'll be down to two pumping sessions at work - one in the morning and one at lunch. I can also do my lunch session at one o'clock which is a huge bonus, since I won't be under the gun to get another session in before the rooms close at four. I'll also be free to go out on the weekends from lunch until dinner. Currently, we need to plan for either being home for "high tea" or for feeding her on the road which is okay but not great. Now, we can grab her bottle and feed her and I don't need to be by a pump. I think it's worth the extra tiredness.

We'll see.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: