Friday, September 05, 2014

Our Kindergartner

Dear P,

It's Friday and you're in school. I hope the day is going well and you are having fun and enjoying your first week of school.

I think, in a way, summer vacation is hard. Your entire life you were in school. You started when you were twelve weeks old. And, outside of a week-long vacations, you had a routine. Then, last year, you changed schools. And, it was a little scary for all of us. It was a new building, new rooms, new teachers, new kids, new activities, new food, new commute, new everything. But, over the year we all adjusted. You made new friends. You liked the bus. You became used to the food. And, we all felt good.

Then, came summer vacation. For the first time ever, you had weeks upon weeks off from school. Your father and I lined up all sorts of activities. We took a couple of trips. We spent time together. And, just when it seemed like summer would last forever, September came. And, with September, came the start of a new school year.

I think you were anxious and that's why you were up until midnight on Tuesday night. I think you were tired which is why you were a little grumpy on Wednesday. Thursday felt more routine. And, this morning, outside of a cold, you seemed back to your happy self. You're in kindergarten now. And, I'm realizing you are growing up.

Much as we were amused by the play based curriculum for last year, I already miss it for this year. I promise, we'll make time for play at home. I know you're growing up quickly, but I'd like to hang on to little kid you for just a little longer.


Love,
your mom

No comments: