Thursday, November 06, 2008

11.06.08 (Week 13, Day 6): Sharing Our News

Dear Friends and Family,

We went in for our first trimester screening yesterday and got the good news. Based upon four independent tests, they were able to assess our risk for Down's Syndrome and Trisomy 18/13. There's still the risk of a false negative and the risk of other "stuff" going wrong, but for now, it doesn't look like we're at increased risk.

We have a second screening to be done between weeks 15 and 16. But, for now, the risk of a diagnostic test that would tell us "for sure" if something was there is higher than the risk of the likelihood of something being there. So, the prevailing wisdom is to enjoy the good news and the continuing pregnancy.

For us, we feel like we can begin to share the news with everyone. We've code named our baby Pioneer for the developmental phase of their life. We'll come up with an official name for launch, but for now, it's Pioneer.

Pioneer is 6.88 cm (2.70 inches) from crown to rump (CRL) which is the common measurement for fetuses. Pioneer has a heart beat of 157 beats per minute. You can see Pioneer in the ultrasound below with a tiny foot off the the right and an even tinier nose.

Nov 5 ultrasoundI'll be publishing a little over three months worth of posts under baby... maybe. And, going forward, we can do this real time instead of holding posts.


Cheers!
mouse

3 comments:

Sara said...

I haven't been following your blog for a while. I saw your flickr update with the ultra sound pics. I'm so excited and happy for you guys! I called Troy right away when I saw the pics. Congratulations!!!

Rochelle said...

Congratulations!
I have been reading your blog for a long while after I stumbled upon it while doing a debt payment search. I am so happy for you guys- I have 2 kids and remember all too well being pregnant. I can now eat certain foods again and I gave birth over 8 years ago!
Many Blessings to you guys and Pioneer.

Trixie said...

holy shit! i can't believe i just stumbled on this trying to get caught up on blogs! i KNEW it!!!! yayayayayay mouse family - congratulations! xoxoxo