Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Value of Respect and of Values, and of Faith

Dear Small,

Last winter, I wrote you a letter, and I want to revisit it. A lot has changed in this past year.

A year ago, you were a thought and a wish. Now, well, you're still a thought and a wish. But, you're also a three and a half month old fetus who is growing at an amazing rate. We'll get to meet you before this time next year if everything goes according to plan.

In the past year, we elected our first Black president. And, in doing so, took an unimaginable leap forward as a nation. What seemed impossible before doesn't seem so impossible now.

And, that brings me to faith. Ultimately, if you have faith, you have confidence. If you have confidence, you have faith. They build upon themselves. And, when you lose one, you quickly lose the other. But, when you have faith and confidence then all things, even the impossible, are possible. It's what gives me enough hope to try to bring you into this crazy world we live in.

Faith in what? Some people find faith in religion. Others look inward for faith. I don't know if there's one right answer. I look to life for faith. Ultimately, you'll have to find what works for you. I have faith you will.


Love,
your mom

No comments: