Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Day after Election Day

Dear Friends and Family,

It's the day after election day and I couldn't be happier. To think, less than 50 years after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech, we as a nation are able to realize that day when we "live in a nation where [people] will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

I think this nation is ready for change. Myself, in trying to follow the teachings of Buddhism, believe that the "middle way" of moderation is the right way to live. The last eight years, I saw lives of excess, lives of greed, lives of over-consumption. And, while it's sobering, I think it's good to take some time now to step back and reassess ourselves as a nation. To scale back on the present and invest in the future.

W. never asked me to do anything for our nation. Well, he did. In a moment of crisis, he told me to go shopping. I think our nation is hungry for nation building and receptive to a president who'll ask something of us in exchange for a better future.

I'm filled with hope and optimism and joy. And, in a strange way, I'm glad the day is behind us. I've had a lot of balls in the air recently with changing jobs, taking on new responsibilities with my alumni association, Mr. mouse's birthday and stuff. It's nice to have one more piece of life "settled" so life can begin to approach a sense of normalcy and I can focus on fewer priorities.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: