Thursday, October 14, 2010

Social Media Overload

Dear Friends and Family,

Uncle.

There's just too much "stuff" to consume. And, not enough time to consume it. There's facebook. There's foursquare. There's flickr. There's email. There's blogs. There's fantasy football. There's the news. And, my daily sudoku puzzle to keep the noggin sharp.

I can't keep up. Something's gotta go. What happens if I disengage from a social media platform? Does the world come to a screeching halt? No. Okay, phew, wouldn't want that to happen. Does my life come to a screeching halt? No. Okay, phew, that's a good thing.

So, seems like a low risk way to get back some time.

Foursquare. That can go. Easy. Done.

News. Sad, but true. I'm willing to sacrifice that to the time gods.

Facebook. Limited to Top News vs. Most Recent.

Which leaves a manageable amount of stuff to consume. I think. Well, let's try it for awhile and see if my mornings seem less scattered. Perhaps I should take a week off from all of it and just do some weights in the morning or get on the exercise bike. Now that's a thought.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

i'll be honest, news falls out for me too. google reader and other people's blogs are on the ol' "when time allows" basis - frequently iPad on the bus. foursquare is only about checking in, i have the notifications turned off so i never really consume anything. clearly my blogs suffer regularly.

but i'm also all for the checking OUT of the whole thing every once in awhile. sometimes just for a weekend, sometimes longer. but it always reminds me of how much i count on fb and twitter (for instance) for interaction. working solo, at home, with no one else to talk to, i realized how integral sm has been to my feeling "connected" and part of something outside of these walls.

but that's just me! hope you're all feeling better. xoxo