Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Happy Birthday, Sweetie

Dear P,

It's 7 AM on your birthday, and everyone is asleep. You're asleep in your crib. Daddy's asleep in green chair. Grandma and Grandpa are asleep in the basement.

You turn two today. We have a fun day planned out with breakfast - pancakes with syrup and ham with dip - one of your favorite breakfast combinations. Then, we're off to the aquarium to see fish. And, we'll eat lunch. Then, you'll nap while we wrap all of your presents. When you get up, we'll go to the park. Then, we'll stop by the hospital where you were born before going to dinner at the same restaurant we went to the day after you were born. We'll come home for cake and presents. Then, there'll be some time for play before you need to go to sleep.

We'll have pictures and a weigh in and a height check and hand and foot prints too.

I know it's a lot to squeeze into a single day. But, you only turn two once. And, the time feels like it's going faster. And, I realize, seeing your classmates, that by next year, when you turn three, you're going to be a big girl and your toddler years will be behind you.

The days go so quickly. I'm glad we get moments like today, when I can get up and come over into your room and watch you sleep. Today, you were on your side by the foot of your crib. Monkey, orange friend and froggy were by your pillow and blanket. And, I remember the days when you were born and I watched you sleep. I felt like the world could go on and I could sit there forever watching you sleep. I still feel that way.

I'm sure this upcoming year will be as much fun as the last. You'll continue to get smarter and smarter and talk about even more things. Hopefully, we have lots of time to spend in the park and at the zoo and doing puzzles and drawing sleeping monkeys and all of the little things we like to do together.

Happy Birthday, sweetie. Mommy loves you. Daddy loves you.


Love,
Mommy

No comments: