Monday, June 22, 2015

06.22.15: Quiet Weekend

Dear Friends and Family,

It was a quiet weekend at home for us. Saturday, we went to the library to pick up some books. Then, P had a make up swim class. And, we spent the rest of the time at home playing. P had a chance to practice her tennis in the courtyard. She read 30 minutes for her library challenge. We ate dinner and it was bath time. Sunday, I went to church while P and Mr. mouse went shopping for groceries. We went to watch the baseball game. And, by the time we got home it was time for dinner and bed.

It was a great weekend. And, the homily at church gave me lots to think about. The father brought in the Pope's recently released paper on climate change and it really got me thinking. If we think of people along two separate axes (not a grid, but two spectra), one socio-economic and one time-based, then we can plot everyone along both of those lines. And, if you're a Christian Buddhist like me, you believe everyone on those lines are connected in a community.

Now switch gears to food supply, and clean water, and safe shelter and other things we want for ourselves and those we love and care for. For better or for worse, unless something changes, our immediate family does not want for food or clean water or clothes or a roof. We are fortunate to live lives that provide us with plenty. But, that's not true for everyone. Someone lives on the border where food is inadequate, where clean water is not a given, where clothes and a roof are not assumed. And, the question I need to answer is do my actions (e.g. how I consume the Earth's resources) impact their access to food and water and home? When I consume beef, the grain and water it took to raise my beef could have fed another person. Beef is one of the worst offenders, but there's plenty out there. Or when I contribute to global warming, does that change the climate in a way that makes someone else's home drought-ridden or flood-prone? I'm not sure. I think it does.

But, it's easy to think selfishly about ourselves and forget about "those" people who don't interact with us daily. That's where the time spectrum comes in. If these changes are real, and I do believe they are, then it will worsen with time. How much time has to pass before it impacts someone I know. Will it be in my lifetime? Will it be in P's lifetime? In her children's lifetime? I don't think you have to go very far into the future before it impacts the people you do know. People are living longer and having children later. For example, if P has one child when she's 35 years old and that old child lives to be 80, we're talking 2124 when we talk about that person's lifetime. Do I owe this possible future person, my potential grandchild, a world that can sustain it? And, even if P doesn't have kids, will one of her friends? Or one of my "nephews and nieces?" Yes, someone will. And, yes, I think I do.

Which brought me to my last thought before we headed to the baseball game. Is Starbucks sinful? I was waiting for Mr. mouse and P to pick me up from church. And, there was a white woman walking down the street with a Starbucks cup in her hand. And, there was a black man begging for food and money and moment of human connection. Is it right for me to spend $4 on coffee when another member of my community wants? Is Starbucks sinful?

I'm not sure.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: