Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Weekly Weigh In: 6/30/15

Dear Friends and Family,

this week's weight loss: 2.2 pounds
total weight loss: 11.6 pounds

Yes! Finally! I got through the plateau. Wow! It feels awesome! I'm more than 10 pounds into my journey and I feel like I'm making progress in a different way.

I love the book "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. In it, he talks about how people change lifelong habits. And, I feel like I went through that once with Weight Watchers. I lost a little over 70 pounds and felt like a million dollars. I thought the changes were permanent. And, they were, mostly. I had regained about 5 pounds before I had P, but in the grand scheme of things that was okay. I was well within the range for a healthy BMI and I looked forward to doctor's appointments to see how all of my statistics were doing.

Then, I had P. I gained weight during my pregnancy. I gained about 28 pounds which was perfect for P and me. I lost most of it after P was born and was within 10 pounds of my original weight (5 pounds of what I weighed when I got pregnant) when life got hectic. Worked changed. My body's needs changed when P was done breastfeeding. Our eating routine changed when P started eating. And before I knew it things felt different.

But something else changed while all of this was going on. Weight Watchers changed their scoring system. And, I tried a couple of times to get back on the band wagon, but it didn't seem to work for me any more. I wasn't sure if it was because I was older or because something had changed in pregnancy or because it was the second time using Weight Watchers or because the new system didn't work. Regardless of the reason, I didn't have faith in it. I didn't believe it could work for me the way it had worked for me in the past.

Things got worse at work and I continued putting on a pound here and a pound there.

Well, according to Charles Duhigg belief, or faith, is a critical component of changing habits. I knew that. But, trying to force yourself to believe is just not possible. Either you believe it will work or you don't. During my first journey, I started off with belief in hand. Two friends each lost close to 30 pounds and told me it was due to Weight Watchers. Voila! Instant belief!

This time, after a couple of attempts that fell way short of the mark, I needed to find my own faith, my own belief, that this will work. And, that's what breaking through a plateau does. And, it's what losing over 10 pounds does. You begin to believe again that this will work. And, even if my belief isn't rock solid. I don't have any competing options at the moment that I believe will work better. So, it's the best option I have.

Still, it feels good. Because once you believe, then it's just a matter of time until you hit your goal. And, I'm finally on my way to believing. Things are beginning to feel different now.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: