Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Sounds of Laughter

Dear Friends and Family,

I have a friend whose life has been tough recently. And, because of her nature she's tried to shoulder it alone. I'd given her space and time, but I was eager to see her again. And, last night, I got to see her and it was so good. There were adults chatting in her dining room and kids playing in the living room and the sounds of laughter echoed off of the walls. She told me it was good to hear the house full again with the sounds of people and I believe it.

I remember another friend who also went through some very trying times. Instead of going it alone, she threw open her doors and we flooded into her house. There were, literally, 30-40 people in her house at any given point in time. There were rules, of course, like we were all expected to pitch in, and the second floor was off limits for when G needed some alone time. But, the house was never empty. We signed up for shifts. We spent a lot of the time just talking to each other. But, we were there for anything that needed to be done.

And, I think there's something healthy about that human connection. If I were to ever go through a trying time, I think I'd look to my friends, old and new, to help sustain me. I think I'm strong enough to go the road alone. But, I'm glad I have friends so I don't have to.

I'm also glad my friend has gotten over the hump. I look forward to seeing her again in the near future.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: