Thursday, June 25, 2015

Manners, People

Dear People in the Suburbs,

I signed my kid up for camp for a week in your suburbs. And, frankly, you should be embarrassed. Your manners are appalling.

Parking. I get parking can be hard to find. But, when the lot is half empty, it's not cool to double park. Take a designated parking spot. And, if you double park, double park along the perimeter of the lot. Don't block the entrance to the lot by double parking in the entrance.

Moms with strollers or really anyone with strollers. I get that people with strollers can be slower than people without strollers. That does not make it okay to push past them willy-nilly when they've been waiting in line to pick up their kid. We're all here for pick-up. They let us in at 11:50 and give us 15 minutes to pick up our children. She's been waiting in line just like the rest of us. There's no real reward for shoving past her to get to your kid. Your kid is safe in the classroom. I waited in line like a civilized person and got my kid by 11:53. Really.

Walking in a crowd. First of all, if you're walking in a crowd, teach your kid to walk next to you or hold their hand. It's not okay to shove another person aside to get to your kid because you let your kid run wild. Second of all, there are kids walking in the crowd, it's not okay to shove someone else's kid to get out the door 5 seconds faster. The building's not on fire. And even if it was, shoving a six year old kid aside to get out first says a lot about who you are.

Stopping and talking. I know. It's exciting to see your friends and it's nice to be able to stop and talk for a couple of minutes before you disband. I do it too. But, I don't do it at the doorway to the school. No one can get out if the six of you are blocking the doorway. Please remember there are people pushing and shoving to get out as if the building is on fire. You're in their way and my way too.

Stop signs. Okay. Here's what I learned when I took my driving test. You stop at a stop sign, check for oncoming traffic, go when the traffic is clear and it's safe to proceed. When it's a four way stop, everyone stops and takes turns. When it's a two way stop, the people with the stop sign wait until the other street is clear and then proceed. Honking at me does not make the other cars in oncoming traffic disappear or stop. Honking more at me does not do the trick. It merely irritates me to no end. I've seen how you all drive. You treat the stop sign by the school as a merge sign. You expect traffic to stop for you. Guess what? That works until one car isn't playing by those rules. And, when that happens you're in the wrong since you clearly had a stop sign and they didn't. Don't be an ass and sit there and honk. There's a nice break in the traffic every 90 seconds when the light turns red. Sometimes there's a break before that, but sometimes you have to wait it out.

Now, fortunately, I've been in other suburbs and know that most of them are completely civilized places where the people have manners and teach their kids to have manners. But, frankly, I've seen better manners on the bus and train than I have this past week in your town.


Yours truly,
mouse

No comments: