Monday, June 01, 2015

06.01.15: First Days of Summer Vacation

Dear Friends and Family,

It's Monday and it's the first "real" day of summer vacation. After many ups and downs we ended May on a high note. We found buyers for some tickets we had. We had some good news come in the last couple of days budget-wise. And, our retirement review was also positive. So, after a month where it felt like nothing was going to break our way, in the end, things worked out okay.

Thursday afternoon, P had a doctor's appointment for her six year check up. I almost made us late, but I took a couple of moments to take some pictures outside of school. And, I'm glad I did because Friday pickup couldn't have been more chaotic. Instead of staggering dismissals, all of the grades dismiss together for the last day of school. On top of that, everyone is trying to capture the last day of school. And, to make matters worse, the skies opened up 10 minutes before dismissal and it was pouring buckets for 30 minutes. Like I said, I'm glad I took pictures on Thursday.

Saturday, we had pancakes for breakfast. Then, we took P to a dance workshop. To say she loved it would be an understatement. She came out positively glowing. I love that she has passions. I love that she enjoys her activities. I love that she's willing to try something new even if it takes a little extra coaxing at the door.

After P's workshop, we came home and ate lunch. One of P's best friends, we'll call her CHG, came over in the afternoon for a play date. The girls danced upstairs while the dads deejay-ed and the moms caught up. We love spending time with them, they're an easy family to love.

Sunday, I punted on brunch with the boys and went to mass instead to hear our new Archbishop speak. He gave a great homily on family and remembering we're all sent into this world for a reason and it's part of our job as family to help each member do whatever it is that member was sent to do.

I know Catholics don't believe in reincarnation, but I do. I believe we've all got a purpose in life. That purpose might be so that our soul can learn a new lesson on its journey to nirvana. Or that purpose might be so that we can help another soul learn a new lesson on their journey to nirvana. Yesterday's homily really rang true for me.

We spent the rest of Sunday getting new sneakers for P and a new toaster oven for our kitchen. We finished off the day by going to the park. It was freezing cold, but it gave P a chance to run around. Now, it's Monday. I'm hoping it warms up a little bit. If not, we'll figure it out.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: