Friday, May 29, 2015

Last Day of Kindergarten

Dear P,

It's Friday. Today's the last day of school before summer vacation. It seems like kindergarten only started yesterday, the year truly did fly by.

I'm so proud of you. You've matured so much the past year. You have a great group of friends. You're able to figure out how to make compromises so that everyone gets to have a say in your play scenarios. You are able to articulate what makes you happy, what makes you sad, and what you find annoying. It's precious listening to you. You sound so much older than six years old. And, it's especially darling because you are about the size of a typical four year old.

I'm also very proud of how far you've come academically. You've picked up so much Spanish and math and reading. You've nearly memorized the Almanac your friend, Gabe, gave you and you're able to make connections to facts you've read in the book with conversations you have with us and with your friends. You're comfortable with time and money and numbers into the thousands. Your favorite books right now are the Who Is/Who Was series of biographies. We currently have Maria Tallchief, Marco Polo, Leonardo da Vinci, Abraham Lincoln, Gold Rush, and Louis Armstrong on loan from the library and Laura Ingalls Wilder on hold. See? It's fun feeding your thirst for knowledge.

It's been a good year for me as well. Last year, I was still transitioning from old work to new work. This year, I feel comfortable with the amount of time I got to spend at school and with you. I feel healed from the scars of old work. And, I'm excited about another summer with my slightly older kid. It's also been a good year because I've finally begun wrangling my way back to wellness. I want to be a good role model for you. And, I've been wrangling our house back to sanity. I don't want you to feel like you live in a pig sty.

I feel like my little kid isn't such a little kid anymore. I think from now until middle school, you're my big kid - my big kid who loves dance and swim and math and reading. Then, you'll be a tweenager before I know it. I guess it's time to say good-bye to my little kid years and hello to my big kid years. I'm sure I'll enjoy them as much as I have the first six.


Love,
your mommy

No comments: