Wednesday, June 18, 2008

CSA Box Contents

Dear Friends and Family,

We signed up for the summer crop share this year. And, our first box is tonight. I'm so excited - fresh, organic, local produce. Life is good.

According to the newsletter, we can expect:
  • rhubarb
  • mint
  • lettuce
  • radish
  • spinach
  • hardy green
  • asparagus
  • strawberries
  • green garlic
  • sunflower sprouts or pea tendrils
And, we get an egg share (a dozen eggs).

My plan of attack (in order of preference):

Strawberries, five ounces a day until they're consumed. Sadly, I think they'll be consumed too quickly. Mint, ice cream, oh, it's so good. Asparagus, grilled with a little olive oil and kosher salt. Lettuce and spinach, washed and made ahead into salad mix for lunches throughout the two weeks. Sunflower sprouts or pea tendrils, probably stir fried for dinner one night. We eat pea tendrils that way, so my assumption going in is that the sunflower sprouts work the same way. Which leaves the rhubarb, radish, hardy green (e.g. kale, collard green), and green garlic for us to figure out during the two weeks.

Fun, fun, fun. And, lots of blossoms now on the zucchini, cantaloupe and tomato plants. I can't believe I'm so excited about something I so took for granted - my food. It's going to be an amazing summer.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: