Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Eating Vegetarian

Dear Friends and Family,

There will be a weekend update post. I promise. But, I want to write about this since it's top of mind.

I decided to try to eat vegan yesterday. I packed six apricots for breakfast and mixed greens with sauteed mushrooms for lunch. By the time lunch time rolled around, I was starving. And, I knew I'd be snacking all afternoon if I didn't supplement my lunch. So, I bought a turkey and swiss sandwich with lettuce and tomato.

By the time I walked back to my desk and opened the sandwich, the turkey was a lot less appealing, so I took it out and had a swiss cheese sandwich - which meant my new goal was to eat vegetarian for the day since clearly swiss cheese isn't vegan. For dinner, I has whole wheat pasta with tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil and a super cute chunk of Parmesan cheese.

I felt satisfied. And, doing a protein assessment, while light for the day (40 grams), it wasn't bad for an unplanned day. And, I discovered something important in the whole eating vegetarian thing: texture and eating process matter. The cheese sandwich felt not different from the turkey sandwich. I still had two slices of bread and the bite-into-a-sandwich sensation. And, the pasta had the twirl-noodles-on-a-fork sensation. I may be onto something here.

Warning: It may be a lot of writing about food between now and next Tuesday.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

i have a friend who was vegan for eons and has mostly stepped back to being vegetarian these days. it's a challenge, no doubt. but i think the "ease into it" approach might work well if that's where you want to go. anyway, luck to you, veggie mouse - sounds like clean livin' is working for you! ;) xoxoxox