Monday, December 15, 2008

12.15.08: Winding Down 2008

Dear Friends and Family,

Two more weekend updates in 2008. About now is when I wonder, where did the year go?

Friday night, B and Chef M came over for dinner. Mr. mouse made chicken tortilla soup, steak, sauteed potatoes, baked squash and green beans. Chef M made a lovely reduction sauce of shallots, balsamic vinegar and port wine for the steak. I skipped on the sauce, more because I wasn't in the mood than because I was concerned about the minuscule about of port in it. We broke out the Scrabble board for team Scrabble - B and Mr. mouse vs. Chef M and me. We won, yeah! Eggnog, cookies, and chestnuts filled what little space was left in our stomachs, and I felt like the holiday season had finally begun.

Saturday, we slept in until noon. It was heavenly to sleep in. Mr. mouse went to pick up the mail while I worked on Christmas card content. What did we do with the rest of the afternoon? I can't seem to recall. Crossed a couple of errands off of the list, but mainly I stayed inside and futzed about.

Saturday night, we drove out to the hinterlands to attend my department holiday party. I wasn't sure what to expect walking in since I'm new to the group. In the end, I had a ton of fun, meeting everyone's spouses and just talking outside of the work context. I'm glad we went.

Sunday, I spent the morning fighting the burps. Mr. mouse made some French toast to try to settle my stomach. It worked for a little bit and I finished off the invite to our annual January party. Then, the burps hit with a vengeance. I spent most of the day just trying to catch my breath. Mr. mouse used the opportunity to clean the house and spend time organizing.

A couple of my work friends arrived at four with their young daughter, Elanor. And, we headed out to an early dinner, as in 5 pm dinner. Elanor was a champ. She sat in the high chair and played the whole time. It was perfect, if a little early. We were home by 6:30 and decided to get the tree trimmed before turning in for the night.

This week, we must get out cards and begin Christmas shopping. Ack!


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: