Thursday, December 11, 2008

Seychelles: Thursday - Grand Anse

Dear Friends and Family,

Our last day on the Seychelles. I was mentally and emotionally drained after the tortoises and Anse Source D'Argent, so we planned a low key day for our last day.

What We Did


I'll admit it. I wasn't sure if anything could live up to Anse Source D'Argent. And, I was daunted by the description of the bike ride. But, the owner of the bungalow we stayed in told us it would be fine so I was convinced enough to give it a try.

We ate breakfast in our bungalow. Then, we showered and packed. We checked out and dropped off our bags at the main building. And, we hopped on our bikes for the ride down to Grand Anse. I packed my swimsuit... just in case.

I made it about third way on the bike. Then, Mr. mouse pulled my bike ahead while I walked up the hill. And, we rode the last third down to the beach. The beach was huge, as you'd expect by the name. The waves looked vigorous. And, not a spot of shade was to be seen. Still, I wanted to get my feet wet on my last day here.

We walked over to see if we could find a somewhat shaded spot by the rocks but it looked like the couple of good candidates were taken. We dropped our stuff on the beach. I got out my swimsuit to find a secluded spot to change. And, I found...


The MOST perfect cove!

Completely covered on three sides with an opening to the beach and water. Perfect spot to change. And, a perfect shelter from the midday sun. It also had a large flat rock in front of it that was perfect for our towel and for laying in the sun. And, to top it all off, the water was perfect at the end of the beach. We had waves, but they were manageable. To top it all off, because we were so far off to the side, no one bothered to walk down to our end of the beach.

It couldn't have been more serendipitous. And, it couldn't have been a better spot to spend the day. When we got hot, we went into our cove. When we wanted sun, we had our rock. And, when we wanted water, there it was. A perfect ending to a perfect trip.

We made a quick stop at an art gallery on our way back to the ferry to pick up some prints. Then, we took the ferry back to Praslin and the catamaran back to Mahe. Checked into our hotel room, showered, repacked and slept.

What We Ate


For breakfast, we had more of the breads from Mahe. And, we picked up more pies and fritters for a snack at the beach.


For dinner, we picked up food in Victoria on our way to the hotel. Mr. mouse got fish and chips at a take away joint. And, we picked up two pizzas from the restaurant upstairs. Sorry the picture's blurry. It's the only one we took.

What I Learned

We were waiting for our catamaran back to Mahe. There was a waiting area with benches. And, while we were sitting, we were people watching. And, we started to guess where everyone was from.

There was a couple. And, the woman had bug bites on her back. And, the man was putting on some cream. And, Mr. mouse said clearly they're from the States. No where else in the world do the men "administer" as much as men from the States. We spoke on it some more, and funny enough, he's right.

Much as we complain about equal rights and social injustices, if you find the "right" guy, there's really no one else who has it as good as we do, in the States. Sometimes. And, I realized/learned that I've got one of those special men. Mr. mouse does so much for me, to take care of me, to keep me happy, to... well, everything, really. And, maybe that's the most important lesson of them all, to remember to be thankful for all that he does for me.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: