Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Seychelles: Fri, Sat - Our Trip Back

Dear Friends and Family,

As always, west bound travel makes for a long day. It was thirty hours on the return, including a ten hour layover in Kuwait City. Fortunately, when the travel times get that long, it tends to all blur into one timeless, sleepless haze.

What We Did


Return itinerary: Mahe -> Doha -> Kuwait -> Washington DC -> Chicago. Let's see... watched the last third of Sex and the City on the first flight and slept on the second flight.

We didn't have enough planning laid out to venture into Kuwait City when we landed. Instead, we ate lunch and then hung out in the airport lounge for the day. Internet access and comfy lounge chairs made the stay pleasant. But, more importantly, it was quiet and smoke free. Second hand smoke is never fun, but I'm inhaling for two now, and it's even less fun when you've got a bad case of the burps.

I can't recall much of flight number three. Tried to sleep the whole flight since that's what we should have been doing if we were back on Central Standard Time. I woke for parts, but managed to get pretty rested on the flight. And, the last leg was uneventful. Dozed and read and started to look forward to getting home.

What We Ate


I wish it were more exciting than this, but the day was mostly filled with airplane food. Omelet breakfast followed by cheese sandwich snack.

Kuwait airport is a tiny airport with two food options: McDonald's and Pizza Hut. Mr. mouse and I love Middle Eastern food, but there was none to be had. Sigh.


The airport lounge serves food, so before boarding our flight for DC, we took advantage of some Middle Eastern while in the Middle East. Finally. We had some hummus with pitas, some stuffed grape leaves and some rice with curry.

What I Learned

I can't say the last day was very insightful. If I had to come up with something I guess I could make a food comment. Fast food (e.g. McDonald's), I just don't care for it anymore, which is probably a good thing.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: