Thursday, June 03, 2010

I Dream of Binky

Dear Friends and Family,

I promise, at some point, to revert back to writing about me - once the rocket trajectory of change that is P levels off.

Binky. P didn't like it for the first couple of months. But, by the time she started school, she liked it enough to want it during nap time and for the car rides. We'd have to prop it up for her on the car rides so that it didn't fall out. Then, sometime shortly thereafter, she fell in love with it, and if you offered it, she would take it. And, she didn't need any help keeping it in either.

Sometime in the distant past we weaned her off of her binky for the morning commute. Then, we weaned her off of her binky for the evening commute. But, once the traffic started getting bad, I caved and let her have it on the way home again.

Well, last week, Tuesday, one of the teachers offered trying to nap her without it. And, P went down for her daily nap without it. I shrugged and thought about it and drove her home without it. I tried putting her down for the night without it and she was okay. And, so began the daily adventure... would she make it through the next day without her binky? And, now, after a week, it seems like it's a thing of the past.

Except, I'm having binky withdrawal. Over the weekend, she picked up her empty bottle and starting sucking on it and it was clear it was soothing - like her binky. And, I remember how happy she was when I used to offer it to her on the way home. I'd strap her into her safety pod (aka the car seat) and then offer it to her. She'd take it, orient it, pop it in her mouth, and then be ready for her toy and the ride home. And, I remember packing her bag together in the afternoon. She'd hand me the stuff for her bag. And, when she came across her binky, she'd nonchalantly pop it in her mouth and move onto the next item to hand over.

I was never sure if it was a selfish, egocentric well, if I want it I get it. Or a I'm just putting this in its proper place. Or a as long as no one notices or says anything I'll do it. Or a don't mind me. Or a number of different attributable expressions. I just know, I miss it. And, I never thought to video tape it. And, now, it's a thing of the past. I think.

Well, P misses her binky. Meh misses P's binky. But, I guess we all need to move on and grow up and enjoy the new fun things - like that fact that P loves her lift-the-flap books now.


Cheers!
mouse

2 comments:

W.C.Camp said...

Well Mom, that IS the pains and joys of being a parent. You are doing GREAT. All the stages will come and go in their own good time so don't feel compelled to force anything one way or the other. When people would start to wonder why potty training was a tad late, I would remark - "You don't know many 18 year olds that aren't potty trained do you?" That would shut them up ... uh at least until my birthday because I was 17 at the time lovin life in my big boy PULL UPS! Great blogging - keep writing. Thanks for helping me remember THOSE days. W.C.C.

kevel88 said...

My philosophy is that they are not going to college with it!! A binky is much better than a thumb-- Which leads to large contributions to the orthodontist!
So my pleasure of choice is to go with the binky. Keep a few dozen around.
Such a simple joy. When they get to grade school and have a deep desire for some special toy, let them know they can trade them all in at Toys-r-us for that special something!! (It works! Of course the sales clerk looks a little perplexed when you give her a bag of binkys or baby bottles or whatever)

If I could only pop a binky, instead of going for that chunk of chocolate!!

My big advice for parenting is: BUY RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES!!!