Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Consumer Sentiment?

Dear Friends and Family,

Well, it's not the end of the month yet, but I had a sneak peak at the retirement portfolio and it's not a pretty picture. And, the short term cash picture is better than it was a month ago, but still not feeling particularly fine there either.

Add to all of that lay-offs at the office and contemplating starting a small business and it's no wonder I've got the jitters.

Last September was surprise good news. Then, we had seven months of good news which left me feeling pretty buoyant. Then, May looked like a bump in the road. Then, June looked like a pot hole. Then, July looked like we would be on the cobblestones for a stretch. But, August, well, August looks like a sink hole.

August looks like we'll be working several more years than we wanted to. The light at the end of the tunnel? Don't have to worry about it being the train because it just went out.

Time to adopt a hunker down and retrench strategy because it's going to be awhile to wait this one out.

On a positive note, several friends seem to be moving so the job market seems to be loosening up. But, I'm not sure I want to make a bunch of changes. P likes her school. I am working on my business idea.

Time to hunker down and retrench.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: