Friday, April 20, 2012

Why We Helicopter

Dear P,

I know you already have thoughts on who your Mommy is and who your Daddy is. We have personalities. We have preferences. We interact with you differently.

I want to take a moment to give you a window into a bit of who I am which may help you understand a little better why I do the things I do.

I grew up in New York City in the 70s. New York City in the 70s was a different place from New York City today. Crime was rampant. And, your grandparents were recent immigrants trying to make the best life for the family.

Recently, there's been articles about a renewed search for a child who went missing in the City. Etan Patz. He went missing when I was a child. His case and others like his must have frightened all parents in the City. The summer you were born was the summer they found Jaycee Dugard. Children go missing.

I live in fear that something like this could happen to you. That is why I insist you hold my hand. That is why we will pick you up and drop you off and not let you take the bus alone when you might think you're old enough.

I don't want to scare you by telling you there are bad people out there. But, that is why you already know your address and your phone number and why I tell you there is a difference between grown-ups you know and grown-ups you don't know and why we practice shouting for help when we read Duck Soup. Tiny tools, but what I can arm you with when you're not quite three.

There's more I want to write, but it's 6AM and your Daddy is packing your breakfast and I need to start getting ready.


Love,
Mommy

No comments: