Friday, June 15, 2012

Mouse Travels

Dear Friends and Family,

You must be sick and tired of my exhaling.

So, today, I'm going to write about our trip. It did not start well.

It started with me leaving work with a days worth of work that needed to "go out" (via email) before I went to sleep. It started with a commute that promised to be straight from hell. It started with some confusion on where exactly to meet and if we were driving or flying. It started with P declaring she needed to go potty five minutes away from our house. It started with Mr. mouse locking us out of the house. It started with a mad dash back to the airport. It started with a flight that was delayed two hours prompting us to realize we wouldn't be checked-in at the hotel until well past one in the morning. It started with the realization that neither of us packed my power cord.

It improved when our flight finally took off. It improved when we found a cord at the supermarket. It improved when I logged on and with the help of some Diet Mountain Dew and some Doritos I was able to power through my work by 5 AM. It improved when P was a rock star during her dental visit doing everything we asked of her. It improved when I napped. It improved when we got to our friends' house for dinner and Mr. mouse made a delicious tarragon tonkatsu dinner and I got to watch the race and I found a couple of hard to find airport pieces. It improved when I told my girlfriend about my idea and she told be I HAD to start my business. It improved when we curled up to bed that night and I was able to sleep with P and Mr. mouse. It improved when we played in the park on Saturday and had a picnic before coming home. It improved when we did the bulk of our packing Saturday night leaving Sunday for odds and ends and a leisurely exit of the house for the airport. It improved when P managed a 16 hour flight without a hiccup - coloring and doing connect the dots and looking at flags and eating and sleeping.

Monday night, we had dinner with Mr. mouse's family. Over there, it's all about food. Everything social is usually accompanied by food. His aunt and his uncle and his cousin were there and got to meet P for the first time. You could feel the excitement.

Tuesday morning, P got to start the day with British beans and toast for breakfast. We stopped by Mr. mouse's cousin's house and P played with her sons' trains. We had lunch with Mr. mouse's step-mom and then let P nap before heading out for the viewing.

The viewing was five hours long. But, it focused on a picture of Mr. mouse's grandmother. The body was in the room behind us, so I don't think P got a lot of what was going on. The service was in Chinese, so I don't think I got a lot of what was going on. After the viewing? Dinner. Of course.

Wednesday, we had more beans and toast for breakfast. Then, we went back for the final service and cremation. I think P got less of what was going on. Fortunately, there haven't been any questions since. I'm torn. I'm not sure how much of it she actually remembers. If she remembers then I want to explain. If she doesn't then I'm fine glossing over it. Huh.

Wednesday afternoon we had a lunch banquet and then time with Mr. mouse's aunt at the apartment where Mr. mouse grew up. We let P nap through the evening. And, around midnight we began packing when she woke up.

Thursday morning we went to the park and then had breakfast and then went to the airport. P fell asleep at the correct time and then slept through most of the flight which put her back on our local time. We landed, came home, unpacked, and unwound.

I won't talk a lot about Friday except to say that Mr. mouse's 9 AM announcement that he was going into the office for a little bit almost made me blow a gasket. Sometime around 3 we started packing (we needed to leave the house by 4). We made it. Not dwelling on this piece.

The trip on Friday seemed like a hop and a skip compared to the miles we had logged so far. Friday night, I got a chance to catch up with one of my close friends from school. He's doing well. I'm doing well. I think this is when I began to unwind.

Saturday, we walked to the park for qualifying. It was warm and sunny and reminded me why I love going to the race each year. Saturday night was yumminess for dinner and hilarity listening to P sing on her friend's microphone. And, I got more time to chat with my friends. They were really supportive of my idea.

Sunday, we enjoyed a most exciting race. P had a picnic. We had a late dinner. Everyone turned in a little early.

Monday, we came home and here we are. I think what I was most anxious about was the long flight and P's potential jet lag and having to explain the service and P's potential melt down with all of the new people and new places.

I think what I'll remember most is watching P play with Mr. mouse's aunt and the warm sun at the race and my friends encouraging me to go forth and try something new.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: