Tuesday, September 04, 2012

09.04.12: Happy Birthday to Me

Dear Friends and Family,

I'm back.

Where'd I go?

We left Saturday morning and arrived Saturday evening in Santiago, Chile. We spent Sunday in Santiago. We left Monday morning and arrived Monday mid-day on Easter Island. We spent Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and a part of Thursday on Easter Island. We left Thursday mid-day and arrived Thursday night in Buenos Aires, Argentina. We spent Friday, Saturday, and most of Sunday in Buenos Aires. We left Sunday night and arrived Monday mid-day at home.

Yes, it was fabulous. Just spending a week off work, staying at a hotel, eating out, and not worrying about chores and stuff is already fabulous. Add to that the travel component and the bucket list destination, and it's bound to be over the top fabulous.

I'll write a little each day about what we did and what I learned. But, for today, the grand reveal.

I had a feeling, going on the trip, that I would learn something worthwhile on this trip. I thought it would be some secret the giant moai (Easter Island's famous statues) would reveal to me. I was wrong. It happened while I was standing at to the side of an ahu (a platform where the moai were erected) and waiting for Mr. mouse and P (she had to go potty) and I was staring at the toppled moai and wondering what it was I was going to learn.

Then, I noticed the absolutely beautiful waves of the Pacific lapping at the shores creating some rather astonishing sprays in the air. That's when I realized, that you can't be focused on one thing and focus so hard on that one thing that you lose sight of the journey and your surroundings because there's beauty in everything around you and you would miss that beauty if you're too focused.

That's my big aha.

Life can be a beautiful journey and it's important to not focus too much on one thing because then you'll miss all of the special moments that could be happening all around you because you're not open to them.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: