Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Work

Dear Friends and Family,

It's Tuesday.

I should probably give you an update on the work saga.

Friday morning, I stepped into my boss' boss' office to talk about work and he gave me some very positive feedback on my work and told me I should have a discussion with my boss about how I work best. Since my boss was working from home on Friday, I decided to wait until yesterday to have the discussion since it felt like one of those discussions that work best in person.

Monday, I fumbled through a discussion with my boss. Rather than sitting down and talking seriously about it, (that would feel awkward given his style and the type of relationship we've built) I mentioned that I had been giving some thought to how best to work together. I mentioned (because I'm not a good liar) that I had talked to our boss' boss on Friday. And, we agreed, going forward, my boss would be an escalation point only, but not be in the day to day business.

Not the most elegant discussion, I'll admit. But, it accomplished my goal of getting my boss out of my hair while keeping him a working partner.

Now, work feels like a better place than it felt like on Thursday when I left the office. And, I feel like a better person, emotionally and physically.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: