Thursday, December 19, 2013

Final Stretch

Dear Friends and Family,

The holidays loom ahead, but, the end is in sight. Most of the gifts are ordered. Our cards arrived yesterday for us to send out. And, now, all that remains is a day of work and a recommendation for a colleague applying to business school.

Ah, business school. The expense of it is extraordinary now. And, the return not as obvious. I guess if I were 27 again, I'd probably apply again. I guess. But, being not 27, I'm just not sure. The pretzels that applicants get themselves knotted into is painful to watch. There are stellar candidates and then there are people who apply without any real idea of what they're applying to. Either way, it's my job, if I agree to write a recommendation, to write a recommendation. My recommendations are always honest and I try to do a balanced job of highlighting the candidate's strengths while acknowledging room for growth and development. I'm not going to gush. It's just not credible. And, it's not useful for the school in helping them screen candidates.

Well, I have a recommendation due tomorrow. And, outside of that, it's a free day with P to enjoy ourselves. I'll have to ask her what she wants to do. Exciting!


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: