Monday, March 10, 2014

03.10.14: Obsessions

Dear Friends and Family,

It was a good weekend.

Saturday, we took P to the museum with her friend. Then, we went for Vietnamese food for lunch. I don't remember what we did when we came home. I think I napped while P spent time with Mr. mouse. Yes, I think that's what happened.

Sunday, we went to church and then to a birthday party. P fell asleep on the way home. I napped with P while Mr. mouse ran errands.

What really made the weekend for me was the homily at church. The priest spoke about temptations, but he took the discussion down an unexpected path to addictions and how even health addictions aren't healthy in the long run. And, I realized I've got a couple of unhealthy addictions, obsessions, compulsions right now.

There's the thing with getting the house under control. I realize this isn't the healthiest behavior. But, for now, I think I will try to keep this one going. There's a certain measure of calm I get from a clean house. Perhaps once I get the whole house under control I can loosen vigilance. But, at least I recognize this as unhealthy behavior.

There's the thing with dinner. Last week, with P dropping her nap, we had a couple of nights of repeatedly calling Mr. mouse's office to make plans for the evening. I've decided to drop this one altogether. Going forward, I don't care what time Mr. mouse comes home. P and I will begin dinner at six o'clock. If Mr. mouse is home to join us, great, if not, oh well. I am dropping the crazy calling every night to coordinate routine. It's just not worth it.

There's the thing with Mr. mouse. He's taking time tomorrow to deal with his baggage. We'll see where this leaves us. I need to recognize I don't control him or his thoughts or his actions. I only control me and my thoughts and my actions. So, if I'm unhappy, I can make changes in what I think and do. Obsessively waiting on him, hoping for change, watching for change is just more craziness. I'm done with this one too. It's just not worth it.

So, it was a very good weekend. I feel like I'm in a better place today.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: