Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Parmalat Pomi Chopped Tomatoes

Dear Friends and Family,

This week, let's look at pasta sauces. From highest to lowest in Weight Watchers points value:
  • pesto
  • alfredo
  • olive oil
  • clam
  • marinara
I was surprised by how high olive oil was on the list. At 5 points per 2 oz serving, it adds up quickly. Ouch! Pesto and alfredo weren't a huge surprise; they add up even faster. I included clam because I get a craving for it every now and then - childhood comfort food.

The winner? For me, it's a simple tomato sauce that combines my favorite tomatoes with a dash of olive oil.

Parmalat Chopped Tomatoes (serves 1 hungry mouse)
Saute a clove of garlic in 1/2 tbs of olive oil. Add 1/4 cup Pomi chopped tomatoes, some basil and parsley. Salt to taste. Simmer for ~15 minutes. Add the pasta of your choice and cook until the pasta is well coated. At 2 points (for the sauce, not the pasta, obviously), it can't be beat! Enjoy summer year round.

Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

Pomi! Pomi! Pomi! I love that we love so many of the same things!
Here's my version of the quick & simple: Saute 3 cloves garlic + 1 small onion in a bit of evoo (love me some Rachel Ray), and add the Pomi. Litle salt + pepper and away we go. Great add ins separately or together: little butter vs. oil (more points?), 1/2 c. dry white or red before adding tomatoes (cooks off the booze, so maybe no points?), herbs of any flavor, capers + olives + bit of crushed red pep flakes = puttanesca...if you're into that sort of thing, mushrooms, bit of thinned ricotta for pink sauce (points). I have a great cookbook that has all these variations...YUM!

PS - we need do discuss IMG and hosting of such images.