Monday, April 14, 2008

04.14.08: Impromptu Weekend

Dear Friends and Family,

We got a lot done this weekend including a spur of the moment trip to the Twin Cities to see the old crew of neighbors.

I have a trip coming up soon to Europe (i.e. as in I leave tomorrow night) and I needed a bunch of random articles of clothing and electronics including a new pair of clogs. There's nothing like a cheap trip to a state without tax on clothes and shoes to make a girl feel like she's saved a couple of bucks. Plus, the clogs are $69 in store and $148 online, so that alone makes the trip worthwhile.

We did our taxes Friday night. Boo! I officially no longer like taxes. I know why we file them, I no longer like them. They're done for the year and I don't have to deal with them again until next year. Phew.

We flew in Saturday mid-day after spending the morning getting mail and dropping off dry cleaning. We landed in Minneapolis, drove to Chisago, picked up clogs, drove to Bloomington (aka Mall of America) and picked up a couple of tops, a pair of ballet flats, and two hermit carbs for a birthday gift and headed over to our neighbors' house for dinner.

It was great seeing everyone and it almost felt like we had never left. Except, when the evening's fun and games were over, instead of crossing the street to go home, we walked up the stairs to the spare bedroom. We had wine and appetizers. Then, we grilled chicken breasts to have with pasta salad and bean salad. The Mom has been trying a bunch of new recipes and they were all very good. She has a balsamic vinegar glaze that's delicious.

Sunday morning was a whirlwind of activity. We headed out for Bloody Mary's while Mr. mouse went to the airport to check in our bags. (We had purchased a frying pan in December during our last visit and needed to bring it home.) He met us at the restaurant after dropping off the bags. And, after coffee and drinks, we split again. He went to pick up a power inverter so I could use my laptop on the plane and I went to pick up a spring jacket for the, cross your fingers, spring weather on its way. A quick dash to Punch pizza and we were on our way to the airport.

We met up with a friend from work who had just gotten promoted, B, and her husband who is going to be starting work at a restaurant soon, Chef M. We went to Spring for dinner. And, I have to say, it's nice when the maƮtre d', the bartender, and the staff know you. You get recommendations for items not on the menu, they stop by to say hello often, you get additional tastings. In other words, you get treated like a rock star, when in reality, you're just in the neighborhood. Hey, I'm not complaining. I love it there. You never have to twist my arm to convince me to go there.

Then, we crashed. And, here I am recapping the weekend wondering how I am going to get ready in the next 24 hours for my trip overseas. My apologies in advance, for not calling everyone while we were out there, but, honestly, it was such a short trip with so much we needed to get done. Next time, I promise.


Cheers!
mouse

PS: On Sunday, we played with trying to recreate the first floor leak. I no longer think it's the masonry gap in the bedroom window ledge. And, Mr. mouse found a red herring on a gap in some ductwork. My leading theory, now, is a vent on the side of the house without a vent hood. We need to borrow a friend's power washer to test that theory.

1 comment:

Trixie said...

sorry to have missed you but totally understand about these quick trips. the funny thing is that we were probably at moa at the same time on saturday! where in europe??? xoxox