Monday, April 21, 2008

04.21.08: Whirlwind Tour through Europe

Dear Friends and Family,

I'm home again. And, wow, was the trip ever worth it.

We landed Wednesday morning in London and went straight on the bus to head out for a day of work. We had a chance to decompress in the hotel lobby in the evening and went out to dinner together as a group to a small British pub (I ordered the mussels with a half pint of Guinness). Then, everyone crashed pretty badly for the evening.

Thursday, met up on got on the bus again. Fortunately, we had some time (an hour and half) in the afternoon to do some shopping which the women on the team were happy about. I loved the clothes at Zara. I'll have to go have a peek at the store in New York, the next time I'm there. Another debrief in the hotel lobby followed by another British pub for dinner. I had a steak, Guinness and mushroom pie. Gotta have one pie while in Britain. A couple of people went walking afterwards, but I turned in knowing we had an early morning rendezvous with our airport transportation.

Friday, 6AM meeting time to head out to the airport for our flight to Prague. Since we only had a half day in Prague, we didn't want ANYTHING to snarl our morning flight. Land, hit the ground running, standard modus operandi. OMG, I fell in love with Prague. We got a little lost on our way to the hotel (there are multiple hotels with the same name) so we got to see a lot of the city that afternoon. I need to go back with Mr. mouse and a good camera and spend some time in the city. Dinner, oddly enough, was at a Thai fusion restaurant. We walked through the city center before grabbing a cab back to the hotel. And, everyone crashed hard that night.

Saturday, 5AM meeting time - brutal. We headed out to the airport again. This time for Paris. And, made it without incident to the City of Lights. Another city, another bus, same sequence of events. We finish a little earlier than the other cities, so by 5:30 we were in the hotel, looking a little haggard, but very glad we'd been able to see as much as we'd seen and learn as much as we'd learned.

And, for me, as a special treat, Mr. mouse came out to spend the night with me in Paris. We went downtown as a group, and the group went to this one restaurant for steak frites. Mr. mouse and I split from the group and headed downtown to walk the streets of Paris before getting dinner.

We walked to the Concord (an Egyptian obelisk) since Mr. mouse knows I love all things related to Ancient Egypt. Then, we walked through the Tuileries and towards the Louvre. And, we finished the evening's sight seeing at Notre Dame. The restoration on that building is phenomenal. We found a quiet restaurant in the Latin Quarter for dinner. And, I fell asleep on the ride back to the hotel.

Sunday morning, I had a croissant and hot chocolate for breakfast making my Paris trip complete. We played a couple of games of Scrabble on the way home. And, by 8 o'clock, I was tucked in bed, fast asleep.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

wow mouse - that's incredible! i can't believe you're still alive and kicking after all of that. but i suppose in a sense your body clock never really does get reset! hope you come back to earth gracefully - take care of yourself! xoxox