Monday, February 14, 2011

02.14.11: Weekend at Home

Dear Friends and Family,

I got home Friday to a morose P. We dosed her with some ibuprofen and then held her hacking body until she cheered up enough to want to play. And, that was when I realized getting on the plane with her would be an incredibly selfish thing to do. So, we're here and it's Monday and I'm okay with life.

The house cleaners came on Saturday and did their magic. It warmed up enough for P and me to head out for breakfast and a walk. I ordered pancakes for P, but she wanted my ham which was fine by me. She ate a slice and a half of ham and three or four silver dollar pancakes.

We spent the weekend at home enjoying a couple of walks in the milder weather and letting P nap at home in her crib. She decided to let her vocabulary explode this weekend taking on words like computer and camera and a whole book of Korean exclamations. She's trying valiantly at two puzzles we got her that are tougher than the peg puzzles at school. And, she's exploring her expanded world since we've been leaving the gate to the living room open more often.

She loves watching us cook. She loves helping unload the dishwasher. And, she loves emptying the cabinet.

I guess, in the end, I'm glad we stayed home. Mr. mouse is still hacking away. P is doing much better than she would have been if we had taken her on a plane. And, I am okay with it all. I've rationalized that my grandfather and I were never very close. And, if having him see P was that much of a priority for me, I would have gone earlier. She's 21 months old so we've had plenty of opportunity. Therefore, jumping on a flight with a toddler, 92 diapers and 23 juice boxes of soy milk would have been a last ditch effort to get a box checked - technically checked, but not in a way that had meaning for any of the parties involved.

So, I'm here and I need to get ready so that I've got a couple of extra minutes to distribute P's Valentine's Day cards.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: