Friday, February 11, 2011

Torn

Dear Friends and Family,

My grandfather in Korea is ill. He is 101 years old. And, he is dying.

As Mr. mouse hacks up a lung, I am sitting in the "family room" debating whether or not we should make the trek out to see him. He is not no longer aware of his surroundings nor is he conscious of visitors.

If I'm doing this for P, I'm not sure it's worth it. To drag her on a plane for 20 hours to potentially spend 5 minutes with someone she doesn't know and will not remember seems like a questionable idea.

If I'm doing this for my parents, I'm not sure it's worth it. They have my aunt and uncle with them and have explicitly said it's not a good idea to come out.

If I'm doing this for Mr. mouse, I'm sure it's not worth it. He sounds miserable.

If I'm doing this for my grandfather, I'm not sure it's worth it. Frankly, in a matter of days he will most probably have passed away.

So, selfishly, it all comes down to me. If we go, I'm doing this for myself. I'm not sure what I'll decide, but it's nice to have boiled down the complexities into a single variable.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: