Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Snowstorm of the Millenia

Dear Friends and Family,

Big storm headed our way, but, my mind is in a different place thinking about food.

I think my brain processes food by a combination of the food itself and the process of eating. There's the taste of spaghetti and the act of twirling noodles around a fork and eating spaghetti and both are gratifying and combined give me a certain level of joy.

That, I think, is the problem with people who try to change eating habits. I think I can become a pescatarian or vegetarian or a vegan or a flexitarian or anything if I find the right combination of foods to satisfy both the taste and the process.

Like, pasta. That's easy. Linguine noodles, crushed tomatoes, garlic, basil and some good olive oil with a side salad with some good balsamic and I'd say I have a satisfying vegan dinner on the table.

And, burgers. That's easy as well thanks to the nice people at Boca Burgers. I'm fine with garden burgers. I imagine I'd be fine with their vegan burgers. Add a bun, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, and a side of fries or chips and another satisfying vegan meal on the table.

And, Japanese. Not as easy. But, I think, a bowl of rice, a bowl of miso, some seaweed salad, and some vegetable tempura (sans egg) would be another satisfying meal.

And, Chinese. Let me think. Rice. Stir fried vegetables. Pan fried vegetable dumplings. Mapo tofu (sans pork and using vegetable stock). Done.

And, Middle Eastern. Hummus. Pita. Falafel. Baba Ganoush. Tabbouli. Easy.

So, I think it can be done. I think it's easier if you plan it out than if you go the other way with a blank slate. Once you have at least one go to meal in each cuisine type I think I'd feel satisfied. Then, I could always grow the portfolio at a steady pace.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: