Thursday, June 09, 2011

Angry at the World

Dear Friends and Family,

It happens to the best of us. And, today it's happening to me.

It's dark and grey out. I'm tired. I ate poorly yesterday. I didn't get my 15 minutes in. And, now, I'm angry at the world.

And, we revisited an ethical dilemma yesterday and so far everyone I've spoken with agrees with me. So... Let's say you work at Company X with 100 other employees. Let's say one of the employees is leaving and has a chair that is the envy of a subset of the employees. Well, it turns out the employee who is leaving is holding a silent auction for their chair with the funds to be used for a group good-bye dinner with the participants of the silent auction.

I've always been on the fence about this employee. I've always felt they live in a land of grey that I choose not to occupy. Well, this is just one more example. I think we all agree, if they were to choose to give the chair away to another employee, they are free to choose the recipient and the recipient is free to use the chair at work. I think we also agree, if a group of friends want to get together for a going away dinner for a colleague who is leaving, that is completely ethically fine too. It's the silent auction thing that is wrong.

And, this just confirms that I already knew. I'm angry at the world today.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: