Thursday, January 26, 2012

4 More Days

Dear Friends and Family,

Still obsessed.

I think it's because I'm realizing that work needs to change. And, the more progress I make on the retirement fund the better I feel about work changing. Actually, P needs to go to school not connected with my work. Then, it all becomes 1000% easier.

Actually, the other reason I'm obsessed is that it's hard work. We can either hire a professional to do this for us or we can do it ourselves. The hardest part for me is picking investments. I've practiced long enough at saving that that part isn't hard. A sizable portion of my paycheck goes to my retirement account each paycheck. That part's not the hard part.

The hard part is that if I ignore it for a long enough time, there's a pile of cash in the account earning 0.000002% interest which isn't what I need for retirement. On the positive side, it's also FDIC insured at 0.000002% interest, so I don't need to worry about market downs with cash.

But, seriously, the part that's been tough is investing - buying things for the cash in the hope that those things appreciate faster than inflation. So, this morning I bought three more stocks. And, I upped how much I'm willing to buy for a single chunk. For instance, if I buy in $50 chunks, then I need to pick A LOT of stocks, bonds, etc. to invest all of my money. But, if I buy in $100 chunks then I need fewer and if I buy in $200 chunks I need even fewer. I think you get the gist.

So, I placed more bets this morning. Let's hope that I've got good news to report in six days (four days plus two weekend days).


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: