Friday, January 06, 2012

Elegant Solutions

Dear Friends and Family,

I read an article this morning - 30 Challenges for 30 Days. And, frankly, it was exhausting. I should have been inspired, but I was like, nope I can't commit to one more thing. Not one more thing. Try one new thing everyday? Sorry. That involves planning one new thing and then executing against it. Nope.

Which means now might be a good time to try and take stuff off of my plate. There's little things and big things, there's work, P, Weight Watchers, our January party, birthday parties, dinners with friends, haircuts, house cleanings, organizing the house, the idea, and the list goes on.

Okay. I will try opening my happiness map.

Here's one to think about. The complicated life that is my commute.

On good days, I drive home with P. Mr. mouse comes homes. We play. Sometime around 8 we eat dinner. We play from 8:30 to whenever we get tired. We go to sleep.

On bad days or on mail days, Mr. mouse comes out to meet us at the train station. We go out to eat dinner. We drive home. We get from around 8:30 and play to whenever we get tired. We go to sleep.

So time-wise, we're time neutral, but I'm eating out more which is costs more and definitely doesn't help my Weight Watchers endeavor. I will say it is nice not dealing with the traffic.

So, is there a better solution for bad traffic days?

Let's focus on the 50-70 minute days. Note, that's just the time for the last leg. There's more driving to get to that point. If I leave school by 6 PM at the latest and drive home through the traffic, it would be just before 8 by the time I got home. If Mr. mouse had dinner ready by 8 PM, we'd be minus the play time, but back to the same point that we would have been on a good day. So, I would trade off play time for money and my health. Sadly, even if it's not the best answer for P, it might be the right answer for me.

If I leave work by 5 PM on the bad days, and leave school by 5:30, then this makes more sense.

Let's agree, the few 70+ minute days, this doesn't make sense. Those days, I need to think of a better solution.

So, instead of a Top 3 Update, I will try this. I will check the traffic by 5 PM. If it's greater than 50 minutes, I will leave a little early to pick up P and drive home. If it's less than 50 minutes, I will leave at my normal time to pick up P and drive home. If it's greater than 70 minutes, I will arrange with Mr. mouse to eat out and drive home.

Mail? Huh. Seems silly to add dinner out just to get mail. We could either pick it up on the way home which is a colossal hassle or we could let it build up and pick it up on a day we would have eaten out anyway.

Okay. Let's give it a whirl and see if it makes life any better.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: