Thursday, November 08, 2012

Goal: 52 Things Will Leave the Mouse Pad Update

Dear Friends and Family,

I am going to try and have 52 things meaningfully leave the mouse pad this year. What do I mean by meaningfully? No, it doesn't mean I'm giving away things loaded with meaning. It means it's purposeful decisions to remove something that has found a home in our home. In other words, clearing out old bananas doesn't count, they never found a home. Clearing out old toys counts since they would linger in the basement given no active actions on our parts.

The List (most recent departures listed first):
  1. You thought I had forgotten about you, didn't you? Actually, I've just been too busy. This one is a simple one. One evening, I needed a hangar to hang up some pants. There were no obvious empty hangars. I think Mr. mouse had brought them all down to fold laundry. So, I took three t-shirts that were languishing in our closet and took them down to the donate bag in the garage. Three down. Something like twenty or forty more t-shirts to go.
  2. This one hasn't been in the house all that long. But, minus active actions on our part, I could see myself having to deal with it sometime in the far future. It's an umbrella. I bought it for P for her third birthday because that's what she wanted for her birthday - chocolate cake and an umbrella. But, it turned out to be much too big for her. Since I bought it from some small store in Oregon (online), returning it seemed like more bother than it was worth. Our friend, Gracie, said she would take it. She likes it. Win. Win.
  3. My college graduation gift from my parents. Actually, it might also have been a house warming gift from my parents for my new apartment, my first home outside of theirs. Sounds like something you should keep forever, doesn't it? Except, it's a 27" tube TV that we no longer watch. We finally recycled it this weekend when our friends were over, since we could fit it in their truck.
  4. I don't even know where to begin. It started this morning, when I went upstairs to put the floss away and I realized the area under our sink was a disaster. First, there were the seven plastic bins, packed with stuff, piled up to the top of the cabinet, three on one side of the sink and four on the other side of the sink. Then, there was stuff wedged on top of the bins and piled all around the bins. I can't count each individually or this list would grow well beyond the 52 goal, but it seems like it should count for more than one entry. I know, I'll count it by the bagful of junk I threw out. The first bag was filled with expired stuff like sunscreen and eye drops.
  5. The second bag was filled with stuff we don't use anymore like (expired) rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.
  6. The third bag was junk junk like plastic bags, leaking mouthwash, empty containers. And, what's left looks so much better. Three plastic bins on the left (from bottom to top): teeth, first aid, travel. And, on the right hand side: bathroom supplies, more unopened supplies, and more unopened supplies. In the middle? One open bin with the remaining partially used, not expired, still useful supplies, like sunscreen and bug spray and lotion.
  7. burp cloths... Ask me why it was so difficult letting these go and I will not be able to give you a good answer. They were piled on P's dresser. I internally debated giving them to my sister. I kept them in March. This time, I bit the bullet and put them in the bag for my sister. I kept 4. I gave her 8.
  8. diaper bag... This one is comical because my sister gave me the diaper bag when we were expecting P. Now that P is potty trained, we've been using a smaller bag. And, even if it was from my sister, I put it in the bag for her.
  9. random pile of stuff on the stairs to the deck: put the gardening tools and extension cord back in the garage, put the slippers with the other slippers, brought down an anonymous faucet head for Mr. mouse to assess, left the flashlight, and last but not least, threw out a pair of old shoes and a bag of rusty nails.
  10. What do you call an old swimsuit missing one underwire? Junk, that's what you call it.
  11. useful, just not for us: 2 old breast pumps, one box
  12. junk: peg toy we inherited (missing pegs)
  13. toy: set of giant pipe cleaners
  14. junk: Halloween themed cup and five empty boxes
  15. baby gear: two booster seats
  16. book: Cooking for Baby
  17. toy: toy computer
  18. toy: baby animal puzzle
  19. toy: bird house with four plush birds
  20. toy: Mega Blocks table and blocks
  21. junk: 4 planters, 1 watering can
  22. useful, just not for us: 1 hose reel, 2 hoses
  23. useful, just not for us: P's toddler pool
  24. junk: 2 rusty lounge chairs, 1 stool
  25. junk: 4 solar lights that no longer light
  26. junk: a bucket and a lid
  27. useful, just not for us: a basket
  28. books: Gone with the Wind, Brave New World
  29. toy: Mr. Potato Head MLB edition
  30. baby gear: the Boppy
  31. odds and ends: new drawer used for kitchen towels
  32. odds and ends: guest bathroom counter
  33. useful, just not for us: crock pot
  34. useful, just not for us: hurricane with almond candle
  35. junk: old bath salts and perfumes
  36. baby gear: foam roll
  37. baby gear: 256 2 oz breast milk storage containers
  38. toy: truck (combo riding and push toy)
  39. toy: dog security blanket
  40. toy: battery-operated toy train
  41. toy: stacking pyramids
  42. toy: hammer and eight nails
  43. useful, just not for us: cane
We'll see if I can get to 52 this year. I'm cautiously optimistic.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: