Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Hodge Podge of a Day

Dear Friends and Family,

What to write about today?

Mr. mouse and me? I don't know. I don't think it's healthy to dance around issues, let off steam by fighting, and then go back to "normal." It goes against everything I learned as an engineer. You know there's going to be repeat events.

The election? We voted early. The rest is in the hands of our fellow citizens. I'll be watching the news intently tonight. In case it's not obvious, we're a Team Obama household.

My thyroid? I had some lab work done over the weekend. I wasn't expecting news so quickly. But, the doctor's office called yesterday with my results. It's not a complete picture in that my first tests done in October only included one test, TSH, which measures your body's instructions to the thyroid. Higher TSH indicates the body is requesting more thyroid production. Lower TSH indicates the body is not requesting more thyroid production.

In my case, my TSH was rock bottom low. What happens next? The doctor then requests T3 and T4 level checks. That measures how much thyroid hormone the body is actually producing. The expectation is that T3 and T4 will either be normal in which case it's odd, but not a problem. Or, T3 and T4 levels will high (if the body is producing the hormone even if no one is requesting it) in which case it's most definitely a problem.

With me so far? I've had thyroid problems in the past. And, historically, when my TSH has been low, my T3 and T4 levels have been VERY high. I know what hyperthyroidism feels like. This time, when I measured my TSH levels in October, I was expecting it to be low, and it was low. Based on my symptoms at the time, I was expecting my T3 and T4 levels to be high, but since it wasn't tested I don't know if they were high.

Lately, though, I've been feeling somewhat better. And, when I went in for my tests this past weekend, I didn't know what to expect. Well, this time, my TSH is still low, although it's not as low as October. And, my T3 and T4 levels, while high, are within the normal range.

I need to call today to make a follow-up appointment. I guess I'll stay on my low iodine diet a little longer.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: