Tuesday, July 02, 2013

P and Her Rocks

Dear Friends and Family,

Want to hear about classic over thinking?

P picks up lots of rocks at school and gives them to Mr. mouse and me as presents. She says the most endearing things when she gives them to us. "Mommy, this is a special present just for you because I love you so much," would be a typical phrase that accompanies a small rock from her playground.

If it's the thought that counts, each rock is worth more than winning the lottery. It's a token of love from my one and only daughter.

Or, it may that P is play acting just like she is play acting when she pretends to be an astronaut or a firefighter.

Or, it may be that P doesn't have any other gifts she can give. She doesn't have money to buy gifts. Is stealing rocks from the playground acceptable? Or does that just lead to stealing in general? Is it really stealing if she knows that the majority of rocks go in a plastic bag and go back to school once we have too many of them at home?

See? Over thinking.

I will save some of the rocks with the quotes that accompanied them. I will assume that the sentiment is sometimes real and sometimes play acting. I will return most of the rocks to school so the children will have more rocks to gift next summer. I will assume this does not lead to stealing in general. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. For now, I will continue to savor each gift as if I won the lottery, because in a sense I did.

I have a small window of time to enjoy a very precious love - at some point P will not be as generous with her hugs and kisses and gifts. I'm glad she still is, for now.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: