Friday, July 18, 2014

New Approach Needed

Dear Friends and Family,

We decided that neither approach to uploading the files to the cloud were working. At 1GB a day, we're looking at a little over three years to finish our upload. Clearly, that can't be the right answer. So, today, we're going to try yet another approach. Mr. mouse is bringing home our external hard drive. We're going to back up the NAS to the hard drive and then we're going to try and mirror the drive. We'll see if that works. Fingers crossed.

I should also write about our play date in the park yesterday. It was so refreshing to see the parents. As much as I'm enjoying summer vacation with P, I think I'm a little starved for adult conversation. It's nice to spend time with other adults.

I spent a lot of time with one dad, talking about money and how to have that conversation with your kid. At first it felt weird talking to P about money. I didn't want her to think we're poor. Nor did I want her to think we're rich. But, most importantly, I didn't want her to think money is important. Money is important, but not as important as being kind or trying hard or having will power or a bunch of other things. Now, a couple of years into it, it doesn't feel weird. P understands that things cost money, that money isn't limitless, that money needs to be earned, and that tracking money and making decisions about money is a normal part of adult life.

I think that's the way it is with a lot of things. It's weird talking to your kid about it, at first. But, if you persist, then it becomes the new normal.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: